Tuesday 24 February 2015

on fedges and efficiency

getting ready...

I have decided on one resolution only for 2015, that is be more efficient. As far as writing on this blog however and with almost three months now since the last post, it’s maybe fair to say sticking to this resolution has proved to be a total disaster!

getting steady...

This is not for lack of business though or things to write about. Recent projects combined with lecturing simultaneously on three courses at UAL has got in the way of keeping weeklyweaves up to date. So, writing this now and preparing the next few posts, I'm remedying this while working hard at making this process more efficient.

go...

Casting my mind back over the last few weeks, periodically working outdoors at Stave Hill Ecological Park and a project at the YMCA in Darlington has been the greatest source of inspiration, not least for the people I have met when working at both sites.

and repeat...

This includes Dave Bent, a volunteer gardener who assisted me building fedges with a group from Just the Job, using ash stakes and other wood collected from for the site at the YMCA. I was really taken by Dave’s efficient way of making a fedge using laurel.  Here’s a few images illustrating how he does it. Dave discovered this method by chance while working on the site, and an efficient and economical one it is too. Thanks Dave, I hope you don't mind me taking a leaf out of your book in the future!

job done!

No comments:

Post a Comment